On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011, Jeff Jensen wrote:
>
>> My absolutely fav store is Audio Perfection on Lyndale in Richfield.
>

> See I was looking at them, but their website is... ugh. I'll come out and
> say it, it's terrible. In addition to it's terribleness the ONLY things they
> show on it ARE the high-end audiophile stuff, like $4000 DVD players.

Yes, the website blows.  Big. Time.

> But I'll probably go check them out. What I'm after right now are new
> speakers and a nice speaker-listening-to room would be good.

Good - the worst that can happen is you waste some time.  My guess is
you will enjoy the store, oogling at the too-expensive stuff, and
really appreciate their listening rooms.  Lotsa stuff to hear, they
will move things around and hook up what you want to hear.  Let them
know your ideal price range, what styles you mostly listen to, and
room and existing equipment details.

They also have some used gear - mention you are open to that (if you are).

Additionally, some years ago when I finished my basement, I wanted
ceiling speakers for rooms and the man-cave (garage workshop).  Mark
(the owner) sold me very old stock (of very good speakers) at half
price.  So another option for "better value" may be old stock (if they
have any).

Also consider audiogon.com if looking for used gear.  It's a lot of
high-end, but you can find something in your price range too - use the
"Search by Price Range" feature.  Some of the older high-end gear is
still superior sounding to brand new consumer stuff!