On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:16 AM, Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> So with just about every electronics store except Best Buy closed, do
> people on the list have any hints on where to go for stereo equipment? Not
> high-end insane audiophile stuff, but still, you know, nicer than Best Buy.
>
> Probably end up buying stuff online, but it's nice to listen to speakers
> before buying 'em.

The Twin Cities metro area will have multiple sound shops that specialize
exclusively in audio stuff, which if you're trying to avoid big-box retail
is where you'll want to go.  I've been partial to Denon integrated
amps/receivers - the build quality has been really good.  As for speakers
it's easy to go off the deep-end.  The last time I helped someone build out
a system they went with Paradigm speakers, which is a nice line of speakers
with entries across the entire spectrum of cost.  I especially thought they
had some great offerings at the knee-of-the-curve price-point for speakers.
 His system sounded really good when he had it up and running.

-Rob