I wish people didn't recommend Linux as an solution for malware
infections like this.

Don't get me wrong, Linux is great, but problems like this are not
solved by changing operating systems. If you take a user that takes
stupid risks online, they're going to do that whatever they run.
Moving those users to Linux is going to expose them to same Internet
they've been on and give them a false feeling of security, as the web
has allowed many threats to become cross-platform.

As a security consultant, I'd much rather show people how to secure
their Windows system (don't run as admin, use Firefox with appropriate
plugins, keep it patched) and then, once they know how to use a
computer properly, show them why Linux might be a good choice for them
based on reasons of flexibility, freedom and cost.

-Josh More