I found a odd anomaly running the traceroute command on an old Red Hat 4
box.

When you run traceroute -r -F ipaddress it works fine and if you run
that command back to back,
there is a 5 second delay in the reported result and it's worrisome.

I asked a friend to run the same test in a completely different
environment and he was able to replicate the delayed response from
traceroute.

I am thinking there must be a network tool that has implemented their
own traceroute utility which won't have this weird behaviour?

Although I will say that when I run traceroute -I (upper case i) to use
ICMP instead of UDP the behaviour is not nearly as bad.

And by the way, I was not aware that by default traceroute on Linux used
high UDP ports which caught me by surprise seeing ICMP port unreachable
messages in a network capture, running the default traceroute. Is that
just how its always been? I tested traceroute on a separate OS than
Linux and that traceroute used ICMP.

So far I've tested hping and this may not work since (I can't verify) it
only uses TCP for traceroutes. I also tried nmap, but it isn't installed
by default on Red Hat so this won't work either. The other tool that I
found to work and will need to probably look into further was mtr.

Anybody here can recommend a better tool for the job?