I don't know anything about NetVanta either but if both the FTP client
and the FTP server is NAT'ed you'll need a smart firewall to be able to
inspect the FTP commands and monitor the TCP port numbers.

For a cool page that clearly describes the behavior between passive and
active transfers and how NAT complicates life, check this out

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Excerpt from the end:

A quick summary of the pros and cons of active vs. passive FTP is also
in order:

Active FTP is beneficial to the FTP server admin, but detrimental to the
client side admin. The FTP server attempts to make connections to random
high ports on the client, which would almost certainly be blocked by a
firewall on the client side. Passive FTP is beneficial to the client,
but detrimental to the FTP server admin. The client will make both
connections to the server, but one of them will be to a random high
port, which would almost certainly be blocked by a firewall on the
server side.

Luckily, there is somewhat of a compromise. Since admins running FTP
servers will need to make their servers accessible to the greatest
number of clients, they will almost certainly need to support passive
FTP. The exposure of high level ports on the server can be minimized by
specifying a limited port range for the FTP server to use. Thus,
everything except for this range of ports can be firewalled on the
server side. While this doesn't eliminate all risk to the server, it
decreases it tremendously.