Ryan,
Check out this:

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-802-11b-Wireless-Original-9dBi/dp/B001O9X9EU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314465547&sr=8-1

afaik, it's currently the most appealing option for wardriving. The
device is able to crank up its tx power to 1000 mW when you tell it
it's in Bolivia (not that you'd ever consider violating FCC
regulations).

One nice thing is the cable you end up using is USB, so you don't get
signal loss depending on the length. If you were to have your adapter
at your computer, and a coax cable to your antenna, you'd get signal
loss requisite to the length of your cable.

I purchased one to try to find a solution to my poor location for
Minneapolis wifi after moving. I was able to get a spotty connection
with this adapter and a high gain antenna. The one that comes with it
is good, if omnidirectional is what you want. If you want a
directional antenna you might look at one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-2-4GHz-2-5GHz-High-Gain-Horizontal-Directional/dp/B004L0TKW4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314465814&sr=1-2

Good luck!

-Erik