On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> The five editions of Swift Linux are a combined total of 3.2 GB.  Where can I get a fast Wifi UPLOAD connection that can
> handle this much data?

> When you have HUGE amounts of data to upload, what's your solution?  Do you have a T1 line?  Are there places with very fast
> Wifi connections?

All things considered, a T1 isn't all that much faster than what
you're getting. It would be *much* more reliable, but also *much* more
expensive. All of the free wifi networks I've used around town (coffee
shops, restaurants, hotels, colleges, etc.) have all performed very
poorly. My guess is that their poor performance is partially due to
cost avoidance and partially due to them wanting to discourage
nefarious behavior.

It seems like the answer to this problem is to rent a build server
(either dedicated or VPS) in a real datacenter somewhere. Then you
could run your builds and upload them to your distribution point over
very fast connections. I've been a linode customer for 6 years now,
and have been very happy with their performance and service. Their
low-level plan will set you back ~$20/month. I'm not sure where you'd
be uploading to, but to give you some perspective on the bandwidth at
your disposal in real well-connected datacenters, I'm able to
regularly upload from my linode (hosted at The Planet in Dallas) to
Amazon S3 at over 30 Mbit. That's faster than you'll ever be able to
upload from a consumer-grade internet connection.

As an aside, you *are* using rsync for these uploads, correct? If not,
you ought to be, so that you can resume transfers if they get cut off
partway through.

-Erik