All 1080p displays are 1920x1080 - otherwise they aren't 1080p. 1080i, IIRC, is 1600x1080 or something like that.

As for the adapter - why wouldn't it work? I have them, and I use them often. You cannot take an HDMI signal and push it to a DVI monitor that isn't native HD but you can do it the opposite way. You just need to know the exact resolution you want to push if the software / x flavor doesn't do it automatically.

--
Ryan