I am running Mepis 8.5 on Dell G260.  I want to play a DVD, but no
luck.  I need to troubleshoot, starting with command line id of the
drive, check permissions, change stuff and make it work with VLC, if
possible.

Right now, I can insert DVD, and notice that the DVD is active and title
reads correct.  I open VLC and select play disc, the dialog shows
/dev/hdc, but when I hit play, the title shows briefly, then
disappears.  Maybe I don't have permissions set correctly?  How do I
check that?

I can check sound with a command that starts with aplay followed by file
name.ogg.  Is there a command for playing DVD?
Thanks, Tom