Thanks, that worked AZ, and now I can ping from the Win to the Ubu machine. I also can put in the address (http://192.168.0.5) in a browser on the Win laptop and get my Apache on Ubu. Unfortunately, it only seems to know about Apache's standard directory: /var/www/  that is, my test index.html comes up, but I can't seem to access any other pages/directories that I've got set up in my /etc/apache2/sites-available. Is this some sort of Apache tweek I need to do, or am I just not putting in the address correctly?
OGM,MN

--- On Fri, 4/15/11, Andrew S. Zbikowski <andyzib at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Andrew S. Zbikowski <andyzib at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Home network?
Date: Friday, April 15, 2011, 10:09 AM

The laptops should see eachother right now.

On Winodws, open a command prompt, type ipconfig. This will display your IP address.

On the Linux one, open a terminal and type ifconfig.

You should be able to do a ping from one to the other.

For example, if the Win7 is 192.168.1.50 and the Ubuntu laptop is 192.168.1.51, you should be able to do this from the command prompt on Win7:

ping 192.168.1.51

You may not get a response if you do this from Ubuntu to Windows due to default settings on the windows firewall.

If you get an IP address that isn't in the private IP ranges (10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255,172.60.0.0-172.31.255.255, or 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255) then you've Qwest router is giving you multiple public IPs, and all bets are off... :)

So assuming the ping works, your laptops can see eachother on the network. >From there what do you want to do?

You can share files by transferring them back and forth using SSH. Install OpenSSH on the Ubuntu laptop and a client that supports SFTP such as FileZilla on the Windows computer. Or you can setup SAMBA on the Ubuntu laptop and share some files on the Windows laptop to share files. Setup VNC on both and remote control the other end. The list goes on and on...you'll have to be a bit more specific about what you want to do.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----