On 04/05/2011 09:08 AM, Munir Nassar wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 19:58, Brock Noland<brockn at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> 2. If I go forward with the current configuration,I assume whenever I
>> am on the road and I happen to be using a network which gives either
>> ranges, I will be out of luck?
>
> sort of, there are ways in openvpn around it by dynamically
> translating the network. however generally speaking you want to use a
> network that is not generally used. (instead of 10.0.8/24, try
> 10.242.165/24 for example, people tend to forget that 10 is a /8)

  Another option if you only want to access a few hosts in your private
network: assign them IPs that would be constrained within a smaller
address block -- I'd suggest a /26 or smaller that isn't at the "top" or
"bottom" of the /24, thus avoiding including .1 and .254 (generally the
most common gateway addresses) -- and have your OpenVPN push the route
for that block to the client.  Linux should give the more-specific route
(the ~/26 over the VPN) priority over the less-specific one (the local
/24) in the event of a /24 overlap.  (Excluding .1/.254 is probably
necessary to avoid breaking your default route out of the network, FWIW.)

  I dunno.  Just a thought.

      Jima