On Apr 4, 2011, at 7:58 PM, Brock Noland wrote:

> I have never used openvpn before and I am a VPN noob in general.
>
> My private network is 192.168.0. I was thinking of using the default
> 10.0.8 open vpn network.
>
> 1. Does that make sense, ie should openvpn be configured as the same
> network as my private network?

No, you'd have to set up routing and a bunch of other stuff. The VPN will only get you to your main server. If you want to do a PPTP setup you'll need to look into routing options.

> 2. If I go forward with the current configuration,I assume whenever I
> am on the road and I happen to be using a network which gives either
> ranges, I will be out of luck?

No, you'll still have a dedicated connection just to your server.

> 3. I assume I should not use static keys?

Static keys means your computer will sign in always. If you don't let your computer out of your sight then do this. If it is stolen, you can just delete the corresponding key.