On 09/25/2010 02:47 PM, Scott Raun wrote:
> I lucked into a couple of bigger hard-drives (as in, larger than any
> of the disks I've currently got in the system).  I don't have enough
> open drive-bay space to just add them.  I can add one at a time.  I'd
> like to move my boot drive to one of the new drives, and then pull the
> current boot drive, working my way through. I've currently got:
>
> hda (~120 MB)
> hda1 holds /
> hdb (~500 MB)
> hdb1 holds /home
> hdd (~20 MB)
> hdd1 holds swap
> hdd2 holds /spool
>
> So, I want add what will be hde, make it bootable, copy everything
> from hda to it (preserving permissions, users, etc.), take out hda &
> boot from hde (maybe hde now becomes hda?), etc.
>
> Anyone have a pointer to a How-To?

Pretty much just copy data and then setup grub.
for each partition:
  mkdir /new/partition
  cd /partition
  find . -print0 | cpio -0pmd /new/partition # if you have acls on your
filesystem you'll want to use pax instead of cpio, I can get you that
commandline too
done
grub
grub> device(hd0) /dev/hde
grub> root(hd0,0) # if boot is first partition on drive hde
grub> setup(hd0)
grub> quit
shutdown
pull other drives and make sure hde is now first drive to BIOS