On 09/24/2010 09:51 AM, greg wm wrote:
> i currently run several minicom sessions inside screen, can screen be
> used in this manner inside screen?

 Yep, you can just type (for example) `screen 7 /dev/ttyS1 9600 vt100`
and it'll open the connection on screen 7.  Also works well in .screenrc:

screen 1 /dev/ttyS4 57600 vt100
screen 2 /dev/ttyS5 57600 vt100
screen 3 /dev/ttyS6 57600 vt100
screen 4 /dev/ttyS7 57600 vt100
screen 0 bash -

 ^ Screen 0 is listed last so that's the one that pops up when I run
`screen`.

 I've known about screen's serial functionality for years, but I did
learn about it on this list.

 PuTTY also support serial communication, FWIW.

 Unfortunately, I believe this discussion got misdirected from Kraig's
original point: he seems to be looking for a utility to bridge two
serial ports and sniff the traffic between them.  A quick Google
indicates that he may be interested in slsnif:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/slsnif/
http://linux.die.net/man/1/slsnif (better description)

 Thanks, Kraig, for the idea; I'm not sure that's ever particularly
crossed my mind to even try that.  Brings up some fun musings...

     Jima