An alternative is to use ser2net which spawns one or more TCP servers on one
a TCP port which will connect you to the serial port with the given serial
port settings. This allows you to connect to remote serial ports on a
networked machine or just locally using your favorite telnet client. You can
also use this with the USB adapters as well.

So for example I run 5 TCP server ports with a different "serial port speed"
setting for each USB adapter port.

2001:telnet:600:/dev/ttyUSB0:9600 8DATABITS NON 1STOPBIT banner
3001:telnet:600:/dev/ttyUSB1:9600 8DATABITS NON 1STOPBIT banner

2002:telnet:600:/dev/ttyUSB0:19200 8DATABITS NON 1STOPBIT banner
3002:telnet:600:/dev/ttyUSB1:19200 8DATABITS NON 1STOPBIT banner

etc.

Then I control access to these TCP ports with iptables.

For ease on my laptop in dealing with cisco and other networking gear's
console ports I set up some symlinks and aliases as follows

alias c1='console1 127.0.0.1 2001'
alias c2='console2 127.0.0.1 3001'
ln -s /usr/bin/telnet /usr/local/bin/console1
ln -s /usr/bin/telnet /usr/local/bin/console2

when I want to open the first console port (USB adapter) I just type "c1"
and it shows up as "console1" in the konsole tab title bar. You can
obviously get more fancy than this but you get the idea.