When I installed Sun's java 1.6 in CentOS, I merely made /usr/java
folder, downloaded the file and extracted. Then added:

# JAVA
JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jre1.6.0_21/bin"
export JAVA_HOME
export JAVA_PATH="$JAVA_HOME"
export PATH="$PATH:$JAVA_HOME"

to /etc/profile, and then "java -version" correctly displayed my
version, and the app that requires java 1.6 ran just fine.

However I am unfamiliar with Red Hat enterprise. I repeated the same
steps as I did for CentOS (which had no java version installed
anyways). Also, doing "whereis java" shows /usr/share/java" as the
path. This version being 1.4.2 we are told is not compatible, so that
is why I need to get 1.6 (Sun's version) installed.

What exactly am I missing here? I always thought that if I put the
path to "/etc/profile" that this would be sufficient. Redhat does
have a config file in "/etc/java/java.conf" that I can edit, but do
not know if I should touch this or not.

Please help a very dim nub out here.

Sean