If it's not behind a fence or locked up, yes.

As I have always understood it: When you put your garbage to the curb, you make it public access.

Or do you throw away your bank statements, records with your social security numbers, etc? The garbage can in your home is private, but not the one outside the home.

As for the police making the stops - they can't arrest you for dumpster diving. Or they would do that instead of the one you quote.