On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Jason Hsu, embedded engineer, Linux
user <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> I have two very old desktop computers (early-2000s vintage), and I am considering replacing one of them with a somewhat newer desktop computer (mid-2000s vintage).
>
> What stores sell used computers?

Ask around.  Many local businesses throw away PCs >5 years old.
Usually they recycle them responsibly, but if you get there before
recycling day you can usually save them a few bucks by dumpster diving
their unwanted gear.  Always ask permission, of course.

Check Craigslist for dumpster dive specials, sometimes employees of
companies (like myself) can't stand to see good hardware thrown out
and tell other geeks rather than seeing it destroyed.

Local government auctions are always good to.  Back when I worked at
Wright County we'd sell off ~4 year old boxen for about $20/pop, even
less if you're willing to take slightly more dated gear.

You can also support TC free geek by buying refurbs from them, the
money you give them goes back into refurb and responsible recycling
projects.

Brian