Any ifconfig or route statements you do are not permanent, you can play
around with them and reboot if you get into trouble (or just do an
/etc/init.d/networking restart (or whatever your distro's happens to be).

Also the add-net 192.168.1.0 is not necessary as when you configure the
interface with that IP it automatically is entered into the routing table.

--j