My main distro is antiX Linux, a lighter version of MEPIS Linux.  I consider antiX Linux to be the gold standard of Linux distros, because it works well with only 256 MB of RAM (and flies like a rocket with 1280 MB of RAM), is user-friendly, and has a superior repository (because it uses the Debian repository).  Other distros match or even beat antiX Linux on one or even two of these criteria, but NONE compete with antiX Linux on all three.

My backup distro is Puppy Linux.  It's user-friendly and also works well with only 256 MB of RAM, but it has a weak repository.

Some even lighter distros are TinyCore and SliTaz.