On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Robert Nesius <nesius at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wondering... do you update these machines all at once?  And... are they
> on the same subnets?  If so, have you explored using multicast packets?
> That's the direction  I saw updates going at my previous gig.
>
> -Rob

Rob,

We're using the standard Windows update server system. (I have to
admit that I'm not familiar with the details of the process.) I don't
believe there's any multicast going on.

We think that if we can make the distribution of the updates easier,
we'll be able to run the updates more often. We've seen a large
increase of in the number of malware infections in the last year
despite our enterprise-wide use of Symantec's anti-virus system. One
infection late in the school year put our summer workstation imaging
three weeks behind schedule.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson