On 9/1/2010 10:46 AM, Yaron wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Josh Paetzel wrote:
>
>> Ironically, resizing is way safer while it's mounted.  I'm not sure about
>> reiser, but on a lot of filesystems resizing isn't even possible unless it's
>> mounted. (XFS being one popular example on linux)
>
> That's super-weird.
>
> Also this is ext4.
>

> -Yaron

Yaron, we often do "Online Resizing" to grow our LVs live and in production, which are
ext3fs. I believe the Linux kernel was patched to allow online resizing, when and where I
am unsure, but it is perfectly safe on recent distros. At least version >= Ubuntu 8.04
works well.

~Mr. M

Not so sure about shrinking though...might have to break out a VM.