Here it is a bit better (shorter and more quotes and no backticks.)
The creation of the empty splitmbox file is unnecessary if you do the cat before the check.
And you can just touch the count file and it'll work fine.

Like this:

#! /bin/sh -f
prefix="splitmbox"
# 10MB
maxsize=10000000

# set a variable to the contents of the count file
touch count
count=$(expr $(cat count) + 0)

# append whatever came into this script to the splitmbox file
cat >> "$prefix.$count"

# if the size is greater than your max, then increment count
if [ $(stat -c %s "$prefix.$count") -gt $maxsize ] ; then
    expr $count + 1 > count
    echo "Splitting to $prefix.$(cat count)"
fi

--
Gerry Skerbitz
gsker at skerbitz.org