On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> If you just want 'top' to run and output nicely to another program (or
> leave you a nice output and then a prompt) try 'top -bn1'.
>
> Perhaps not exactly what you want, but worth knowing about.

Great tip.  The -b option is a good trick to remember.  That only lets me
see one iteration, though, and this seems to let me see many (a new one
every time I hit space):

top | less -rf ; reset -I

It's not exactly a graceful solution but it hasn't failed, yet.
Combining your idea with mine, this may give us the best of both worlds:

top -b | less -f +/^top

Top provides a new iteration every three seconds or so and I just hit
/[Enter] to see the next iteration.  If I hit /[Enter] before the next
iteration is available, it shows it when it becomes available, so I can
hit it a bunch of times in advance and then watch it update in real time.
I think I need a new bash alias.  ;-)

Thanks again, Carl.

Mike