On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:12:55 -0500 (CDT), Mike Miller wrote:
> I am upgrading a machine from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 and the system is
> telling me that traceroute is no longer available as an Ubuntu
> package.
> I suppose traceroute is very old school and there is some new thing
> that I
> don't know about.  Is that correct?  Maybe someone here will know.
> I've
> been using traceroute forever and it seems like one of the important
> UNIX
> tools that everyone would use.  Thanks.
>
> Mike

 I would highly suggest "MyTraceroute" or mtr for short. It seems like
 traceroute's unofficial successor: "mtr combines the functionality of
 the 'traceroute' and 'ping' programs in a single network diagnostic
 tool." If I interpret packages.ubuntu.com correctly, the ncurses
 interface (mtr-tiny?) is in maverick (I don't know much about ubuntu's
 packaging)

 http://www.bitwizard.nl/mtr/

 -Jeremy