i want to watch dvd's on one box and hear the sound out the soundcard on
another.  shouldn't that be simple?  i can hear sound just fine with esd,
mplayer, vlc, audacity, clearly local sound works.  but remote sound is
eluding me.  esd makes nice beeps but esdplay doesn't seem to play through
it.  vlc commandline<http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch03.html#id515138>has
convoluted server/client options, i managed to satisfy the syntax and
it
said it connected but i didn't hear any sound.
jack_netsource<http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/NetJack>ought
to do it, it happily says "connected", and many of these apps
recognize jackd if it's running, but jackd never produces sound for me,
remote or local, it clearly takes over alsa and i can watch it connect when
launching "mplayer -ao jack sound-sample.wav" but i hear nothing until jackd
is no longer running.  sheesh, i'm sure there's a simple answer
somewhere....?