Look at the source for mv and see what it's test is....

I submitted a patch to cvs once that fixed an error that involved these
semantics - oh because cvs was doing a rename when it should have been doing
a move.  Rename fails across filesystems, move works.   It might be
something as simple as 'if the rename system call fails - do a
copy/delete".   In point of fact, I think there is a rename command but I'm
not sure if it is a literal wrapper for the rename syscall and has the same
symantics or not...

Just giving ideas/spitballing.

-Rob