On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Thomas Rieff
<trieff at greencaremankato.com>wrote:
TCLUG,
Been a while since I have had hard drive failures.
This is on a windows xp machine in our office.
Blue Screen Of Death with a Unmountable Boot Drive error.
Hopefully, yes.

 Is the drive spinning?
Did a cable get knocked loose?
Any funny sounds (excessive clicking or strange new spinning noises)?

Step 1:
Shut down and unplug

Step 2:
Take drive out and give it a light (light!) smack on the table

Step 3:
Reassemble, check those cables, any change?

Step 4 (uh oh, you got this far)
Throw the drive in a freezer bag, give it a few hours

Step 5:
QUICKLY re-assemble while drive is still cold, any change?

Step 6 (you have backups, right??)
Grab a USB adapter and attach the drive to another machine.  Since you
mentioned a non-linux OS, I recommend using a PC that is also non-linux and
grab a copy of On-track easyrecovery (free to download, only have to pay if
you actually have something to recover).  Scan and see if anything is even
present.  ~$150 or so if you're lucky enough to find something (contact me
off list if you're here, I have some alternative tools that sometimes work
if you don't want to pay, but they're not nearly as good as Ontrack).

Step 7 (no backups?  Oh....)
Remove credit card from wallet.  Make sure you have a good $K or two on
there.  Ontrack is very good, their price tag says so.

Hopefully you get no further than step 5, but hard drives can be nasty
buggers when they go bad.  Best of luck!

Brian