> Can you take a pic of the connector of the CDROM? I know there are
> different styles. I should have an extra Dell and HP style, if, in fact,
> they are different.

yay!  my thinkpad boots again.  the cd worked well enough to run knoppix and
fix the mbr, and i chrooted into lucid (nice ring to that), ran apt-get
update, and apt-get install lubuntu-desktop.  so thanks anyway wynn, it's
better now.  i presume it was netboot that gave me NetworkManager, now, as
one would expect from lubuntu, i've replaced that with wicd.  way better.

issue remaining:  the lubuntu lxde login is fine, but none of the linux
virtual terminals is available with a getty.  with /etc/inittab retired, i'd
be grateful for a clue how to get those.  anyone?