I connect to a remote server regularly and use its spare CPU to do video
transcoding. I use MEncoder to do the video portion and the primary
problem I have is that I can may time out randomly (I'm behind a router
running DD-WRT, so maybe it's related to the problem Jon Schewe posted
about) and when that happens, I have to start the encode over (this is
especially frustrating when doing a 3-hour event from a BD or 1080i TV
cap). Adding & to the end of my command has two problems. First, the
constantly updated status line with percent finished and other important
information is still written to the terminal and covers up any commands
I type as well as any output a command gives. Second, this does not
prevent MEncoder from stopping if I time out anyway. I find that the
only way to prevent MEncoder from stopping is to add & to the command
and exit the terminal. My script with MEncoder will still run in the
background whether I'm connected or not, but I then have no way to see
the status line again. Ideally, I want to reattach the status line to a
terminal so I can see it and then detach it and send it back into the
background.