From: "Jon Schewe" <jpschewe at mtu.net>
To: "TCLUG List" <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 3:18:52 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: [tclug-list] Comcast being evil or some bad hardware?

I'm trying to capture some large files from my house (on Comcast) to a
server out of state (not on Comcast). I'm copying the files using ssh
and a non-standard port.Things are fine for files of a couple megabytes,
but files over say 10 megabytes stall out part way through. One night I
got 50MB uploaded all night! So today I started up tcpdump on both ends
and captured the traffic. I noticed an interesting thing in wireshark
when the connection stalled out. I got a "TCP Previous segment lost"
message on the server side and then started getting "TCP Dup ACK" on
both ends. The server has a SonicWall firewall in front of it and is
virtualized with vmware. My house is using dd-wrt on a Linksys router as
my connection. Is this Comcast doing it's filtering for our protection
or is this just something misbehaving on either firewall?

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital