On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 18:42, Dan Armbrust
<daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know what software I could use to create expandable encrypted
> file containers?
>
> TrueCrypt is wonderful... but you can't resize the encrypted files it creates.
>
> Aka - I want to be able to mount a file as an encrypted file system,
> copy arbitrary files into that file system, unmount it, and copy the
> file containing the encrypted file system to another server where
> there is no security.
>
> But I don't want to have to know the file size ahead of time - which
> TrueCrypt requires.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

You can use Fuse/Encfs.... BEWARE... there is a KNOWN 10 month old bug
in the OpenSSL/AES ciphers that can cause a data error in the key
thereby rendering your key and passphrase useless, along with your
data. The Blowfish/OpenSSL are not known to be affected. This is a
dynamic container system.

The next option is to move out of userland and Fuse and use Ecryptfs.
Personally it does encryption and decryption well but has some tricky
spots to get used to because you have to put the same variables in
each time you mount the directory. Umounts are justl like normal for
any other FS.

I am trying to find another solution myself. XTC, Symmetric and with a
Passphrase that doesn't choke on >4GB. Somehow in one of my transfers
I lost my onsite GPG secret key which I had to restore with an offsite
one. My public key was on the keyservers for GPG. GPG can do large
folders but it takes some time and you have to encrypt and decrypt
each time. Bcrypt is good but it has problems with folders/directories
somewhere around the 2gb to 4gb range. All these files of course can
be split with the split utility.

To me truecrypt takes way too much time to set up and maintain. But
that is perception.

VampirePenguin
If there is a question to the validity of this email please phone for
validation. Proudly presented by Mutt, GNUPG, Vi/m and GNU/Linux via
CopyLeft. GNU/Linux is about Freedom to compute as you want and need
to, and share your work unencumbered and have others do the same with
you. Key :  0xD53A8E1