On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 03:18:52PM -0500, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> I've had bad experiences with ATIs drivers (on windows and linux) and

I've had bad experiences with most of the hardware I've played with.

> have since only bought NVidia.

Good for you.

> Driver not "open"?  eh.  I don't care.

The original poster and I do care, because...

>                                         I'd much rather have a closed
> driver that is actually supported

... the support cycle of the company might not overlap with the
intended lifecycle of the piece of hardware and I'd rather not toss
out a good piece of hardware just because the OS changed it's APIs and
the manufacturer decided that they got my money two years ago and
there is no point in giving me a working driver now.

>                                   and takes full advantage of the
> hardware, then an "open" driver that sucks.

The open driver will become better over time.  There is no guarantee
for the closed driver.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163