On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 09:19:58PM -0500, Robert Nesius wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
> > I'm thinking about replacing my computer and trying to find a good
> > well-supported video card under Linux. I want to avoid any of the binary
> > drivers as I've had problems with the nvidia ones interferring with the
> > SATA controller. I don't need 3D for much, I just run gnome with compiz
> > turned on. What's a good video card chipset to look for?
>
> I'd aim for Intel graphics.  Intel completely open-sourced their
> graphics drivers.

With one notable exception, those included in the Poulsbo chipset (I
have a Dell Mini 10v with that chipset).  Other than that I love the
Intel chipsets and integrated graphics in my and my wife's Thinkpads.

> Not only is the hardware interface publicly documented, but the open source
> drivers are also provisioned right from the hardware vendor.
>
> Here's the hardware support matrix.  http://intellinuxgraphics.org/user.html

The trouble with that is that you can't buy an add-on PCI express card
to upgrade an older machine or to use it with an AMD processor.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163