On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 05:27:28PM -0500, Jon Schewe wrote:
> I'm thinking about replacing my computer and trying to find a good
> well-supported video card under Linux. I want to avoid any of the binary
> drivers as I've had problems with the nvidia ones interferring with the
> SATA controller. I don't need 3D for much, I just run gnome with compiz
> turned on. What's a good video card chipset to look for?

I searched in the usual places [1] and [2] but they don't spell what
what capabilities are supported on what hardware.  But this might help:

   http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ati_r600_mesa_3d&num=1

Cheers,
florin

1: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon
2: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163