On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 17:53, gregwm <tclugl at whitleymott.net> wrote:
> no takers on the original question, netbook/ipad or a umpc ringing from
> sleep (linux or not)?  like iphone the n900 won't sprint, too bad.  moto
> droid?  dunno, but given credo(sprint) is whom i choose to support, it's
> looking good for hero from what i've read so far..

As to the original question, I side with whomever said go with a new
high-end mobile device (Google is trying to use the term "super
phone") for the mobile stuff and stick with a "real" (can still be
cheap) laptop for "real" work (photo and video editing was mentioned
and I'd through in code development and the like as well).

I moved our family off of AT&T (I was on my 3rd Treo {a 650 and two
680s}) and over to CredoMobile (we'd had Credo Long Distance on the
land-line for over 10 years). I was not aware that the Hero was an
option. I wound up getting the BB Curve 8330. It was quite a switch
from the Treo and at first I pined the loss, but at this point I'm
very happy.

I drink all the Kool-Aid Google produces so the seamless sync of
Contacts to the phone was pure bliss and the integration of the
calendar (not a full or seamless sync) is _great_ (much better than
all the by-hand or 3rd party mechanations I went through with the
Treo). My work (the University of Minnesota) has moved to Google and
the Google Mail client can effortlessly read my personal and work
email with push technology. Google Maps ties to the GPS. Google Voice
just works. It's all quite nice.

So, back to the Hero. If you know of some way to get a Hero from
CredoMobile or how to get a Hero to work with CredoMobile, please let
me know. I could give the BB to my partner (she's been making small
hints that she might be ready to take the plunge from her paper
planner and the like) and I'd jump all over a Hero.

I'd much prefer a Droid or the Nexus Two (or Three, whichever device
they eventually release that really is perfect), but I'm willing to
take baby steps and very much want to be on an Android platform.
--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman
612.234.7778