AT&T in the Twin Cities Metro has been solid. I don't get downtown much so I
can't say how good or bad things are there. The AT&T horror stories are
coming out of San Francisco and New York where the dense tech-savvy
populations with smartphones have pushed the networks past the breaking
point.

There is no way you can get an iPhone to work with Sprint or Verizon. AT&T
and T-Mobile use GSM cell technology, Sprint and Verizon use CDMA.
Completely different radio technologies.

For me, the big seller for iPhone is content. Podcasts, Audible.com, and
content from the iTunes store. I've also ripped some purchased content for
use on my iPhone or for use without the original media.

If content isn't what's driving your decision, the Nexus One and the Droid
easily round out the top three smartphones on the market today. The killer
for me is that the Android OS doesn't yet have playback support for
Audible.com content. It's supposed to be in the works, but it's been in the
works for a long time now.

As for smartphone vs. iPad vs. netbook, I would currently opt for the
smartphone or iPad (or both). With a 8-month old in the house I don't have
much time for doing much with a computer, but I can find a few moments here
and there for email or checking some web stuff with my iPhone, or make it
through a movie or TV show in 10 minute increments. So I'm tempted by the
iPad, but wishing Apple would have done more to make it a mid point between
the iPhone and a MacBook. Given currently available funds, I'll be waiting
to see what develops.

When I do find time to use my laptop I'm doing more intensive things such as
editing photos or video (mostly of my daughter), or doing other things where
I don't want to be hindered by a small screen of a smartphone, iPad, or
netbook. I have a nice MacBook Pro, I just can't find a use case for a
netbook.

The best advice I can give you is to go with what fits you and your life.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com