FYI...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:34:44 -0600 (CST)
From: Mike Miller
To: R-Help List <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
Subject: nano syntax highlighting for R

Nano is Free Software and a nice intro text editor.  It also starts up
very quickly and has good syntax highlighting functionality, so it makes a
nice file viewer.  The syntax highlighting is configured in the ~/.nanorc
file.  See the attached code and screenshot.

I was looking for good nano syntax highlighting code for R when I found by
Stephen Haptonstahl's code here:

http://srh.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/20

He is happy for others to use the code, modify it and distribute it.  My
edited version of his code is attached.  To use it, just append it to your
~/.nanorc file.  There's also a systemwide way to use it, but I don't know
offhand.  To use nano in a view-only mode, just use the -v option to turn
off editing functionality:

nano -v file.R

The .R file extension will cause Nano to use the R syntax highlighting,
but it can also be triggered with the -Y option:

nano -v -Y R file.whatever

Of course, nano also is an editor, so just drop the -v option if you want
to edit a file.

The screenshot looks pretty nice now (I'm using xterm with white on black
and haven't tested with black on white), but I'm sure it can be improved
further. I don't have time to work on it much now, but maybe someone else
will want to pick it up.

Best,
Mike