From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Smith, Craig A
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:25 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: [tclug-list] Postfix, Comcast, Relayhost and port 587

I run a hobby server on a Comcast residential connection.

A number of years ago, I noticed larger organizations (Gmail, etc) began
rejecting email from dynamic ip.  The solution was a "smart host" to
relay email.  Comcast would accept connections on port 25 and forward
from their well-know (unblocked) ip address.  Here's the line I added to
/etc/postfix/main.cf that made it work.

    relayhost = smtp.comcast.net

Last year, there was discussion on this list about Comcast blocking port
25.  I was unaffected at that time.

http://archives.mn-linux.org/pipermail/tclug-list/2009-February/thread.h
tml

However, last month on or after Feb 8, 2010,  Comcast stopped accepting
my port 25 connections.

    $ telnet smtp.comcast.net 25

    Trying 76.96.30.117...

    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

I called Comcast and they said "that's right, use port 587."    I can
telnet to port 587 , but I believe this requires authentication,
presumably with my Comcast credentials.

I've reconfigure postfix for port 587 per

http://www.kclug.org/pipermail/kclug/2008-February/032558.html

and setup SMTP Authentication per

http://www.freelock.com/kb/postfix-relayhost

but I'm stuck on the last step:

     # urpmi --media main libsasl2-plug-login libsasl2-plug-plain

    bash: urpmi: command not found

Can someone supply the magical apt-get incantation to get me started?

I'm running postfix 2.3.8 on Debian and can live with only out-going
mail.