On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> Aside from being (in my experience) unusual, appending to an existing
> Reply-To strikes me as wrong in that it leaves users with no way to
> specify that replies should go solely to them, which disables use cases
> such as the classic "please send all possible solutions privately and
> I'll post a summary to the list"

I hate that one.  How many people either send the same thing, thus wasting
all of their time, or send nothing because they assume someone else did
it.  I think this is called a "discussion list," isn't it?

Don't forget the annoying people who have their address in Reply-To all
the time and thereby screw everyone up when they want to reply to the list
only.  I used to be one of them, but not anymore.

> or the much more common "I'm conducting a poll on X; vote by emailing me
> directly and I'll post the results in one week".

That won't work anyway because at least about 5 people will start spamming
the list with their opinions.  There is no defense.

I'm sure you understand that having the list address added to the Reply-To
field does not stop people from replying to the sender (From address).
For people who have different From and Reply-To, this new system works
great.

Mike