>> My router used to need rebooting every half year or so.  I haven't
made
>> any firmware or configuration changes in a while -- but it's still
>> running the latest published firmware.  Since two days ago, it needs
>> daily reboots, sometimes multiple in a row before it behaves nicely
with
>> the other wi-fi devices I own.

>Linksys WRT54G, right?  That happened to me too.  I bought a newer one
and
>it worked better, at least for now.

Me too.  I've had 2 Linksys WRT54G units fail like that as well as an
earlier a/b unit.
Each worked fine during a year or two of continuous service.  Rebooting
fixes the problem temporarily.

I recently picked up a Tenda W311R (N) on sale at Microcenter.  Only 1
antenna, but the Linksys N routers don't have *any* external antennas
(why they did they do that?).  Tenda cannot "lock out my kid's ip/mac
automatically during specific hours,"  but that never worked well on the
Linksys.  Both can be configured with any web browser, but the Tenda
label clearly states the default ip address should you need to hit the
reset button (nice touch).  Otherwise, features are similar - including
port forwarding for my Linux server.

I expect all consumer-grade routers (without fans) may have similarly
short lifetimes.  I keep a spare on hand.