On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:16:53 -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
<chrome at real-time.com> wrote:
> On 03/04 09:03 , Florin Iucha wrote:
>> It might be out of your price range, but at work they are using some
>> KVM-over-IP which goes over Cat-5 and it works wonderfully at great
>> distances.  The particular vendor we are using is Avocent, but they
>> were quite expensive ($200 per port or so, IIRC).
>
> I am familiar with KVM-over-Cat5; but I only need to go 25ft, not 125ft.
> (Yet).
>
> $200/port is less than I was expecting; tho it may be different if I
only
> buy one set of ports.
>
> The upside of that is that I could move the computers a really long way
> away.
>
> I'll have to look into it again. It's been quite a few years since I
looked
> at the tech.

Maybe you could just worry about the video cable and then use synergy for
the keyboard and mouse? That would require at least one node next to your
monitor though so you could physically attach kb/mouse. eg. sheevaplug @
$99 dollars would be cheaper than IP KVM.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
http://code.google.com/p/synergy-plus/ (fork/re-write, your distro of
choice should have one or both)
http://www.openplug.org/ (sheevaplug)

Not sure if it would work *exactly* in your situation but it would be a
cheaper alternative given that long-enough video cables are available and
not too expensive either.

-Jeremy