On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 08:48:33AM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> I'd like to relocate my computers from my office to a room in the basement;
> and just run really long keyboard/video/mouse cables to the office.
>
> This would require a run of about 25 feet tho.
>
> Does anyone have experience with KVM cables (not involving a KVM switch;
> just going from monitor to computer) that long? I've heard of people having
> problems with pushing the keyboard signal that far; and I've seen RF
> interference when crappy equipment is involved.
>
> Any brands that anyone can recommend?

Carl,

It might be out of your price range, but at work they are using some
KVM-over-IP which goes over Cat-5 and it works wonderfully at great
distances.  The particular vendor we are using is Avocent, but they
were quite expensive ($200 per port or so, IIRC).

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163