On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Dan Rue wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 01:45:15PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> We're talking here about someone who said he won't use Ubuntu because
>> the name sounds silly to him.  He might have been joking, but it didn't
>> look like it to me.
>
> If names don't matter, why have you and us collectively spent so much
> time arguing about our own namesake?
>
> http://shadowknight.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2008-October/055072.html

It's not that names don't matter, and that's not what I said.  It's that
the name of a thing is nowhere near as important as what the thing is.
Names like "Debian" or "Ubuntu" don't tell us much about the distro and so
they shouldn't play much of a role in our choice of which to use.  I'm
talking about the sound of the name here.  Peanut Linux is small, I think,
so that's a good name that tells us something about the distro.  If I
thought the word "Debian" sounded silly, should I look for a different
distro to use?

The GNU/Linux v Linux controversy seems to be highly emotional.  I think
that GNU/Linux does a better job of describing the thing that you're
getting when you install some GNU/Linux or Linux distro.  GNU programs
like "ls" (written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie) are hard to
live without.  That's why I think GNU/Linux is a better name than Linux,
but I don't want to argue that point again.  I wouldn't decide not to use
any kind of software because the name sounded funny.  I might not use a
distro if the authors strongly opposed calling it a GNU/Linux distro, but
that would be a political decision, not one based on the sound of a word.

Mike