On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Jason Hsu, embedded engineer, Linux user wrote:

> Is there any good reason to dual boot Windows given the option of
> installing Windows in VirtualBox?  I haven't tried VirtualBox yet, but
> it sounds awesome - being able to try out various operating systems
> without having to burn CDs and without having to dedicate a whole
> partition to Windows or another guest OS.
>
> The only drawback I can think of is the increased RAM and processor
> speed requirements (due to the need to run both the host OS and guest OS
> simultaneously).
>
> (In case you're wondering, the only thing I've done in Windows that I
> haven't found a Linux/open source substitute for is working with a
> Xilinx FPGA kit.)

I used Windows XP in VirtualBox for a year or so.  It was pretty great.
I got almost everything to work properly.  I think USB wasn't working in
Windows, but I probably could have figured it out -- I think it normally
works for people.

One major problem:  It took down my Ubuntu system once.  I used to just
leave it running in an IceWM workspace under RealVNC, but sometimes I
wouldn't use it for weeks at a time.  This meant it wasn't rebooted.
Various things can grow stale with Windows over time and at some point it
severely messed up everything to the point where I couldn't even look at
process statuses.  After almost a whole day of trying to make it work, I
had to take it down and reboot the whole system.

Without Windows running in VirtualBox, I've had the same VNC session
running since October 2009 when I last upgraded Ubuntu to 9.10.  I'll
probably get back to using VirtualBox with WinXP again, but I won't leave
it running when I don't need it.  The only thing I think I need it for is
for certain Office documents that OpenOffice just doesn't handle
correctly.  Those documents are pretty rare these days and OpenOffice is
doing a nice enough job most of the time.

Mike