From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Carl Wilhelm
Soderstrom
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 4:30 PM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Linux bloatware: trying too hard to be like
Microsoft?

I still use a couple of Linux boxen that are 10+ years old now as my
everyday workstations. Debian on both of them.

Amazing how Enlightenment has gone from a 'massive and heavyweight
bloatware' to 'lean' by comparison to the new window managers/desktop
environments.

The limiting factor now is basically the web. Websites have become so
bloated with massive Flash animations and shoddy javascript that some of
them can bring your box to a crawl. Youtube is now the reason why I'm trying
to scrape together money for a new computer... 1.1GHz K7 with 1.25GB RAM is
just not up to the task of youtube anymore. (and Facebook and Gmail have
their bad days as well).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator