On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Andrew S. Zbikowski wrote:

> I don't get it...
>
> Are you trying to
>
> - Troll or start a flame war?

I don't know about the OP, but that is what you are doing, right?

> - Promote IEEE's Project Phoenix?

That seemed to be a side remark, but I'd like to hear more about that
project.  It sounds like it's about keeping old hardware working.  That is
definitely a worthwhile effort, in my book.

> - Promote antiX Linux?

There!  I think you've got it.  He was explicit promoting it, wasn't he?

> - Be "cool" in front of the LUGgies by bashing Microsoft?

I liked it.  More seriously, I thought it was a pretty good argument and I
haven't heard enough about that.  It does seem like Microsoft is in
cahoots with Intel to push users to dump their old machines.

> Extremely limited success in all cases I'm afraid.

How can you know that?  There are a lot of readers on this list.  I read
his message about antiX Linux, I looked it up on the web, and I'm thinking
of replacing Xubuntu with antiX Linux on an old machine.  Xubuntu really
drags on that box.  So, for me, I think he was successful.

> All your opinions are built on the base of an old laptop with 256 MB of
> RAM and a 500 MHz processor. That's what, circa 1998-99?

In a message he sent on February 1, 2010, he described it as an
11-year-old laptop.  So, yes, it must be something like 1999.  I have one
from that era too and I'd like to make it work.  Why not?  I hate to throw
away a working laptop and Windows definitely won't cut it -- it won't even
run XP properly.

> Have fun Mr. Embedded Engineer. You live in a world that is vastly
> different and resource restricted from the mainstream.

Are you trying to

- Troll or start a flame war?
- Be "cool" in front of the LUGgies by bashing this guy?

Mike