On 06/28 04:08 , swede wrote:
> I just picked up a Toshiba Portege m200 and while I did get the Installation
> CD, there are no drives other than the hard drive on this thing.  It won't
> even boot with USB.  It will boot over the network, and now all I need is to
> figure out how to do that. Does anyone know of a good tutorial or set of
> instructions that will work with my Fedora 13 installation?

This is just the beginning, but it was a long time ago that I last did this
and memory fails.

You'll first need to set up a DHCP and TFTP server. Get the MAC for your
hardware, and put an entry into your dhcpd.conf file something like this:

host xterm {
  hardware ethernet 00:80:96:04:87:72;
  fixed-address 192.168.1.45;
  filename "/tftpboot/path/to/netboot/kernel";
  next-server 192.168.1.10;
}

Obviously substitute the MAC for your own, and set up a TFTP server (on the
IP address listed after 'next-server') to serve up your new kernel and its
associated boot files.

You'll have to build a Linux kernel that netboots (and runs your installer);
and at that point my knowlege is too old and bit-rotted to be useful.

A simpler solution would be to pull the hard drive from the laptop and put
it into a different machine that did have a CD-ROM drive. Do your install on
the other machine and move the drive back to the Toshiba laptop. Linux isn't
so sensitive to hardware changes as Windows; so swapping hardware out from
under the OS isn't usually a problem.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator