On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 09:42:46AM -0500, James wrote:
> > At the time I was told the only approved messages were those sent as
> > text only, no html. Several people were really upset that I used html
> > in my email. My solution to their problem was to leave the group.
>
> You probably used a bad MUA that didn't even bother to send a
> plain-text version.
>
> The same way that you think your way of sending HTML mail from a phone
> works best for you, I think that reading it in text mode through a SSH
> connection works best for me.  But if you want to communicate, you
> need to send something that we can both see...
>
> Cheers,
> florin

There comes a time when you (the royal you, not you specifically, florin.
Which is to say I'm addressing the point more than the individual here. )
are just being plain stubborn.  Clinging to your VT100 terminal emulation
over ssh with a MUA that can't render HTML to ASCII and crying out against
the individuals who encroach on your self-selected corner of the
internet where others like you congregate and bemoan the masses
that insist on using new-fangled technology and styles for
electronic communication... yeah.  Taken to a certain degree
that's just being stubborn - there is no moral high ground.
It can be argued the html-incompatible-MUA user has
self-selected out and is asking everyone else to bend over backwards
for him.  How is that not selfish and obnoxious?

At risk of throwing gas on fire I'll take a moment just to share some
thought on the top versus in-line posting topic since that sort of
kvetching goes hand-in-hand with this topic and has already
occurred in this thread.

At a meta-level, the only people hanging onto this point and strongly
voicing opinions that will likely go with them to their grave are...
the in-line posters.  As someone who has been using email since
1990 (that's pre-web, for some of you younger whipper-snappers, and
I also recall every machine that was globally visible was in /etc/hosts..),
I was once strongly on the in-line side of this debate.  That's
how everyone did it.  And as time went by, and AOL opened up
gateways to USENET (and crapped on the Internets by doing so, imho),
and the unwashed masses began to participate in online communities,
I woke up from my dreams at night with nightmarish visions of top-posting
and ... as Netscape and other browser-based mailers encouraged the
use of HTML for message composition and formatting, all sorts of
unreadable mails spooling across my screen.   Teh horrors!

Then I got some jobs in professional high-tech environments
where, despite the fact we were all gear-heads working on the
command-line all day, we were essentially forced to use Outlook/Exchange,
though we had unix mboxes too.  And we all grumbled a bit
but over time a few benefits of top-posting became apparent.

* Top posting preserves atomicity.

Example:  Where [a] and [b] said in the same email by the same person??
----------------------
>>> Jay Wrote
>> Rob Wrote
> Dan Wrote

>>>        Wall of text

Observation

You know, I agree with ... the guy with >>>>> things.

-------------------------

Had to think about it, right?  I've been CC'd on long threads that
have been kicked around during trouble-shooting mode before it
became obvious I was a stakeholder or area owner that needed
to be engaged.  Being able to reconstruct the chain of the email
with each response preserved atomically was often times very
helpful.  The whole history of the conversation was preserved, intact.
Sometimes that's really nice.  In fact, it's really nice a lot of times.

Moving on...
* Top posting is faster - Quite often it's just easier to bang out a
response
without worrying about all the trimming, formatting, etc...  At my
previous job I got 300 mails a day.  The overhead of in-line posting
conventions would have made that insufferable.

* Top posting encourages not using confusing pronouns whereas
  inline posting often does lead to ambiguity.

Example: Top Posting

From: Rob
Subject: Next spill cap tactic

I think increasing the flow rate of the breach by cutting the riser pipe is
necessary risk to get us to a better initial-condition for the cap.

From: Jay
Rob - you know if cut the riser pipe the flow rate will be increased
temporarily.

Example: In-line

> Jay wrote:
> Rob - you know if we cut the riser pipe the flow rate will be increased
temporaily

This is a necessary risk to get us to a better initial-condition for the
next attempt.
==end example

Analysis: Now - this is somewhat artifically constructed, sure.  But note
that the
in-line response took the previously quoted text as setting the subject, and
used
"this" to refer to the subject defined in the previous text.  This (heh)
happens
with top-posting too... but I have noticed over time it happens more with
in-line posting.  Using previously written text to define the context for a
response
that immediately follows is supposed to be one of the vaunted advantages of
in-line responses, but in my experience for longer threads it becomes
problematic,
and thus the "pruning effort" to keep mails shorter and more concise
involves
editing or paraphrasing text other people wrote.  That's not so bad - but it
is
time consuming.

There are other pros and cons, and I bet if you google "inline versus top
posting"
you will find more hits than google can list in 100 pages.  But before you
flame
me, please understand I'm not trying to convert anyone here.  I'm just
pointing out
that there are objectively some benefits to top-posting, and some benefits
to in-lining -
each approach has pros and cons.  If you like in-line
posting, in-line away.  Given this is a Linux LUG I'll keep in-lining
because that
seems to be the culture here and I believe in rolling with the culture when
choosing
a response style.  But.... bashing on other people who do top post from a
self-appointed morale high-ground, or just bashing on top-posting in
general...
I just want to say  ... really?   You're still fighting that war?  You're
still in
the previous decade?

In summary, I'm cool with different opinions.  But the outright hostility
and
immaturity about this particular topic is not
becoming to the bright binds that inhabit this list. I'm not trying
to sell anyone one way is better than the other - just hoping some
people can see perhaps there are two sides to this coin.  I'd rather
we flame each other about which text editor is best (Suck it, emacs users!
:) ).

Feel free to call me names now, I guess.

Thanks,
-Rob