On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Mike Miller wrote:

> For my stereo/TV system, I wanted the computer to be quieter, so I put it
> on the other side of the wall.  That's working for me and it is
> inexpensive.  I use wireless keyboard/mouse and a long HDMI wire (that
> wire was pricey, though).

One of my previous media center computers was in a case that was
stereo-component sized/shaped, and it sat in the media cabinet with
everything else. I replaced all the fans with silent fans. I love those. I
started putting them in all my computers - my office is a LOT quieter now.

My current (as of Friday) media center is an Acer Aspire Revo. I hate to
buy an actual system rather than build one, but when you're going for the
very small form-factor it ends up being cheaper. This thing came with a
bunch of things I don't need (like Windows 7 and, you know, a harddrive)
which I promptly removed. It's virtually silent and can mount behind the
TV (if I feel like building an adapter, do NOT get me started on the fact
that the VESA Standard Mount is basically 4 interchangable standards).

Anyway, Carl, you can get a 'nettop' for pretty cheap. This Revo plays
1080p video out to the TV with no problems. Well. After minimal
configuration, anyway. HDMI audio, too. Saved me an extra cable. Too bad
WiFi can't keep up with streaming 1080p, that'd be another cable...

-Yaron